Quick Pickled Picnic Vegetables
- Mandoline or Y peeler
- Jars with good fitting lids or clip preserving jars
- Good solid based saucepan (not aluminium)
- Slatted spoon
For The Pickling Liquor
- 240 ml vinegar cider apple, white wine, balsamic or a mixture of all
- 240 ml water
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar unrefined / golden works well
- 1 tbsp Bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons of mixed mustard / coriander / fennel seeds / black peppercorns / mixed peppercorns / cloves or what ever you have
- 1 Pinch of chilli flakes - if you like it hot and spicy
The Vegetables And Jars
- Thinly sliced vegetables such as raw beetroot carrot, pumpkin, butternut, onion, courgette, radish, cucumber or even small florets of cauliflower - use a Y peeler or mandoline for slicing nice and thin
- Clean clip lid preserving jars Sizes depending on how you want to serve your pickles
- Pack the jars with your chosen vegetables, leaving a cm or two gap at the top.
- I like to layer mine... for colour and flavour.
- Add seeds and bayleaf. There's no rules here...you can add what you like to taste.
- Bring the liquid to the boil and turn off... stir to ensure salt and sugar are dissolved. You'll probably want to have a window at this stage! This quite a powerful potion!
- Pour the liquid over the veggies and close the lid while hot.
- You can turn over the jars to create a vacuum so it stores better.
- Leave to cool completely and allow to pickle for at least a couple of days. Keep the jars in the fridge.
- Serve with my Vegan Faux Gras Pâté or Focaccia (see **notes) with a tasty vegan cheese